BIGGER, BOLDER, BRIGHTER than ever?
That’s right! 74 light installations, 116 music programs, and 149 other events – that is what’s coming up for Vivid Sydney 2017! Branded as BIGGER, BOLDER, BRIGHTER than ever, this annual light, music, and ideas festival is back to rock Sydney from 26th May until 17th June. There’s no better time to visit Sydney than now, especially for some of these incredible highlights.
1. The ubiquitous Australian landmark, Sydney Opera House gets spruced up with brilliant animation and energetic beats again! Bundle up in a jacket, get a hot cup of coffee, and be mesmerised by Lighting of the Sails: Audio Creatures, a collaboration featuring art direction by Ash Bolland, music by Amon Tobin, and visual content by Spinifex P/L Sydney.
2. Meanwhile across the channel, the Harbour Bridge never fails to amaze visitors with its multi-coloured light projections. There are also plenty of smaller installations around the surrounding Campbell Cove area, including EORA: Bennelong, which pays homage to Woollarawarre Bennelong, the first Aboriginal man who was exposed to European ways and wrote a book.
3. The exhibition space at The Royal Botanic Garden is expanded this year! Take a walk through the greens to explore the marriage of art and botany at Electric Forest, and meet Rowi and her baby Kiwi bird (an endangered specie native to New Zealand) at Birds of Lumos where they will glow and pulsate in different colours through their light-globe bodies.
4. Mimicking the iconic Hollywood sign in Los Angeles, SYDNEYLAND presents the hues that make Sydney such a cool city, from the sunrise over Coogee beach, to the sparkle of Mardi Gras, the kaleidoscope of street art in Newtown, and the twinkle of the city lights reflected on the waters of Circular Quay. The end result is a whimsical array of colour and light on the pixel-mapped LEDs.
5. Another area to visit is Martin Place, where cutting-edge projections and extraordinary installations are the main focus of this financial district. Be prepared to spend at least a couple of hours here, with plenty of highlights including Urban Tree 2.0, Deep Forest, as well as Lux Populi, a brilliant laser light projection which soars 10 metres above the forest floor, featuring a kilometre of glowing neon rope reflecting off the skyscrapers.
6. Fancy laser lights combined with a water and pyro show? Don’t forget to make your way to Darling Harbour. This year’s theme is Magicians of the Mist, featuring 12 massive pumps that project 28 tonnes of water into the air every minute, coupled with vivid animation that shines on the walls of water 60 metres wide and 40 metres high.
7. Just outside the CBD (central business district), the commercial and residential neighbourhood of Chatswood is reinvented as a funky and retro-futuristic smart city with ingenious installations and light sculptures.
8. Partying on the roof top with Boy George? Ice skating whilst silent disco-ing at the same time? Or how about taking on a Masterclass? This year, Vivid Music presents more than a hundred shows and events to feed your soul with fresh thumping music, as well as concerts by electronic pop duo Goldfrapp, folk rock band Fleet Foxes, and many more.
9. Beyond the light and music, the Vivid Ideas program will continue to inspire with more than 200 events exploring the changing face of the creative industries. Throughout the city, a series of conferences will connect start-ups, emerging talent, practitioners and entrepreneurs with world-class creators and thought leaders.
VIVID SYDNEY is a unique annual event of light, music and ideas in Sydney, Australia. The 2017 festival will take place from 26th May until 17th June, in various locations all over the city. For more info, visit www.sydney.com.
EXPERIENCE SYDNEY: AirAsia offers the lowest fares to over 130 destinations. Book your seats, accommodation, holiday packages and activities now at airasia.com.